Final Project - My Breakouts!


I decided to call my final project "Charlie's Breakouts." I think it sort of references illness or acnes -- like the Wriston is having a bad skin day or has just come down with a case of the chickenpox. It was a lot of practical fun learning how to use the vinyl cutter. I think machine cut vinyl can add an air of professionality to a piece, and I am looking forward to using it more. Like, even though the process of fabricating these decals was relatively straight forward, I think they look technically very nice. It's a lot easier to make a perfect circle with a CNC razor blade than with a paint brush. 



Although I think putting dots all over Warch would have been a ton of fun, in the end I am glad I did my project in Wriston. I have had such a stressful term, and putting that together might have sent me over the edge. It also gave me the opportunity to spread out over an entire building and play with the idea of heightened perception that we talked about in class. Because I made four smaller breakouts across the entire building, they function sort of like Easter eggs. Someone who spends most of their time on the first floor might have only seen the dots in the bathroom, and might not see the decals on the water fountain until later, if ever. It makes for this progressive experience. Like, first you notice one spot, then two, then four. As you go through your day in the building, you are forced into a state of hyper awareness every time you see a new set of dots. 






I also finally got o experiment with brown! I have been really obsessed with the brown and pink combo for a few weeks, and this gave me an excuse to play with it. I think in the future, I might try combing natural wood textures / colors with vinyl decals. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Convocation Reflection

Another Transfiguration

Non Euclidean